Politics, guns, my home town and surrounding areas, loathing, and the observations of a very grumpy white male living in a suburb of Boston. "Lynn, Lynn, city of sin. You never come out the way you went in. Ask for water, they give you a gin... it's the darndest city I ever been in."

Saturday, August 20, 2005

Wally World

Just ran across this on the Herald's site and I wanted to throw my 2 cents in.

Lynn may not really be the City of Sin, it's hardly a seventh heaven for shoppers either. Ditto for practically every other Wal-Mart-infested community in Massachusetts.
Still, you have to be really, really dimwitted to think that Lynn's downtown - or other downtowns in the Bay State - would be thriving had not another one of Sam Walton's outposts sprung up on a big vacant lot just outside the main drag some years ago.


Thats an understatement. Lynn's downtown went down the toilet in the early 1970's. I remember my mom would take me down there to visit the few department stores that were left and even as a child I could recognize it as the mess that it was. Did Wal-Mart even exist back then? Probably but not around here. What did exist was welfare and section 8 housing. And boy howdy lots of it. The fact that the neighborhoods surrounding downtown were packed to the gills with people who didn't respect this country, didn't give a crap about the property they lived in, and didn't bother to RAISE their children is what destroyed our downtown. It WAS NOT a safe area. Hell it wasn't a safe area 10 years ago. The only reason it's marginally safe now is THERE IS NO REASON TO GO DOWN THERE. (Unless you're bailing someone out, the police headquarters is still down there.)

By the way, it pisses me off that Wal-Marts in Lynn and Salem won't sell ammunition. That's a statement from Wal-Mart about what they think of the citizens of Lynn and Salem as far as I'm concerned. Oh well, I'd rather go down to Four Seasons anyway. Maybe I can talk my wife into a new J-frame. (Not very likely.)

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Milton, NH, United States
What can I say? Every thing's chicken but the gravy!