Politics, guns, my home town and surrounding areas, loathing, and the observations of a very grumpy white male living in a suburb of Boston. "Lynn, Lynn, city of sin. You never come out the way you went in. Ask for water, they give you a gin... it's the darndest city I ever been in."

Friday, August 19, 2005

All fired up for the cheap stuff!

Ok, I know beer. I love beer. I've been brewing beer for the past 10 years. It makes me feel Jeffersonian. My point is I know what beer is supposed to taste like. Some of my favorites are Harpoon IPA, and Ipswich Stout. However...

Lately, due to my newfound frugality (A trait you acquire while attempting to keep your wife out of work to raise your baby. My wife worked in day care, we KNOW what goes on.) I have been experimenting with the left side of the beer chest at my local liquor store. You know, where they keep the Pabst Blue Ribbon, Schlitz, and Ballantine Ale. Let me tell you, if your palate tends toward the domestic mass produced beers (And I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that.), you are wasting your money on Budweiser, Coors, and the like.

I remember when I was a kid, Gramp's refrigerator always had a few ice cold Schlitz stacked in the back. I remember seeing Schlitz signs everywhere when I was a kid. Apparantly Schlitz was THE beer back in the day so when I saw Schlitz at Kappy's for $5.99 a 12-pack I figured what the hell. Guess what? It's pretty damn good.

The crazy old guy that used to live across from me when I was a kid use to drink fat little bottles of Ballantine Ale. It's really cheap at Kappy's. Guess what. It's pretty damn good.

Now, my new personal favorite. $10.86 for an 18 PACK of the superb Pabst Blue Ribbon. My Dad used to drink it when he was down cellar building stuff. (Or hiding from us, can't say I blame him.) You need to get it really cold but it's PRETTY DAMN GOOD.

Seriously, these beers were on top at one time. They just got their asses kicked by multi-million dollar advertising.

That is all.
Johnny
Former beer snob.

1 comment:

Bruce said...

I gotta agree with you. There's nothing like a cold 16-oz. PBR after mowing the lawn on a hot, sunny afternoon. Try sucking down an Ipswich Stout or a harpoon Munich Dark under those same conditions - not pleasant.

Then there's always Coors Light, for folks who just like to piss a lot.

Mmmmm...beer.

About Me

My photo
Milton, NH, United States
What can I say? Every thing's chicken but the gravy!